Monday, June 8, 2009

I feel change in the air


Much to talk about today.  Tomorrow we bid farewell to Heidelberg and move on to Prague.  I will be sad to say goodbye... our time in Heidelberg has been so much fun.  Today, we had our second exam in Comparative Economic Systems, and then rushed off to Frankfurt, the financial center of Germany, and some argue, the European Union.  We had some time for lunch, so a couple of my friends and I walked the 12 escalator climb to a cafe on a terrace of a building above the city.  We had Bratwurst and other German specialties and had such a great time.  Then we visited the European Central Bank, which was by far my favorite corporate visit so far.  The presenter told us about the Euro zone and the challenges that the ECB faces in developing monetary policy.  He also did an excellent job relating things back to the US system and describing issues in ways that we could relate to.  Fantastic.  I want his job.

Then we visited the headquarters of Deutsche Bank, a world leader in global investment and retail banking.  Also very interesting.  The bank had its worst year on record last year, and we 
                                                                                   got to ask the 
Presenter some good questions.  Although we were all very tired, and ready to be finished, it was a good visit.  These two visits were the first that focused on financial systems and economic policy, which I really like.  I've discovered that I really enjoy finance... a huge relief as I feel lik
e I'm starting to get confirmation that I've made the right decision.

Tonight, we have free time... I think some friends and I are going to hit the town and see what hap
pens.  Tomorrow we drive to Prague, home of the worlds best Crystal (Sworovski), Hockey Teams, and strip clubs.  Don't worry, mom.... I'll be good :).

1 comment:

  1. ya i think prague has the world's biggest strip club or something. maybe it will be part of your tour of businesses...

    ReplyDelete