Sunday, June 7, 2009

When in Rome

I think that the thing that I have enjoyed the most while in Europe is getting to see how other people live.  This was especially true in the Netherlands, where we stayed with Dutch Families in their homes.  We ate what they ate, we drank what they drank, and I felt like we experienced a little piece of the culture of that part of the world.  My hosts in Gouda, for example, were some of the best hosts I've ever had.  They were genuinely interested in our lives and tried to make us as comfortable as possible.   In Russia, some of us had the opportunity to sample the local specialty (no need to mention its name here) and see the result of 80 years of a planned (and brutal) economy.  In Germany, we have had more of an opportunity to interact with some of the local people which was been incredibly lucrative and in some cases, emotional.  Last night, the city of Heidelberg launched fireworks over the river.  While the display was no Taste of Chicago, it was beautiful.  The best part, though, was that I walked by myself through crowds of Germans and watched as they talked to each other.  I felt like an adult.... and like I could fit in with these people :).

One of the hardest things about this trip is traveling with 45 other Americans..... excited and very loud Americans.  I try to be patient because I understand that everyone is very excited and wants to express everything that pops into their head (I do it too).  But sometimes, its SOOOO embarasing!  We might as well plaster a giant Stars and Stripes above our head bearing the logo "Hey Ya'll!".  The other kind of funny thing that I've discovered about most Americans is that you can usually pick them out in a crowd without ever hearing a word that they say.  The clothes, the demeanor, the.... look.  On Choir tour, some of my friends and I would play "find the American".  Whoever won at the end of the trip got a piece of apple pie.

3 comments:

  1. oh i KNOW! one time ali and i sat on a park bench in london and picked out the americans as they were walking toward us, and then would listen for the accent as they got closer. they stick out like a sore thumb!

    i love those moments when you're doing something cool in a cool place,and feeling capable of anything--like becoming an adult. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely relate to the loud american thing (I was also included in that too, as much as I tried not to)! And I was with only 15 others and I felt like so much of a tourist!

    PS. I really enjoy reading your blog. Its great to hear about all the adventures you're having! Can't wait to hear about more of them in August!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet! I love hearing about people who are reading it! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete